Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 1330 times)

Stafford

• View Profile
Insurance
« on: January 28, 2014, 03:04:33 PM »
Hi Guys,
Just took out insurance on the Simplex. Covered it for $4000 and liability for $132 per year through Hagerty.
They say it is a motorcycle not a scooter.
I think that is a fair price, just wondering if anyone else knows of a better deal.
Cheers
Stafford

pd

• View Profile
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 03:51:24 PM »
Stafford ,

Currently , I only have storage coverage . That cost me a mind boggling 6 bucks a year for 6 grand . That is through State Farm .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 04:46:04 PM »
I also have Hagerty.  I have mine insured for $5000, and it cost me $110.  Does anyone else have theirs tagged for the road? I am going to put my other bikes on the road this summer.
Rick

Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 05:13:41 PM »
Tagged mine as antique. It's good for 5 years and no inspection. Limited use but no problems riding it around town.
I've used Hagerty before but always keeping the ear to the ground for something better.
Cheers
Stafford

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 06:42:14 PM »
My "regular" plates expired at the end of November.  It's cheaper for me to wait till spring & then re-register it for antique plates & then I'll shop the insurance again.  Right now it's part of our home "package deal" with the other vehicles.
Mike Sal

Doodle Bugger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 02:17:50 PM »
I have two restored Doodle Bugs insured with Hagerty. I've been with them for, I think, 4 years now. I've never had to file a claim, but am happy with their service and their prices seem competitive. The biggest thing for me is that Hagerty "gets it" when it comes to scooters and motorbikes, and antique/vintage vehicles. I know that if something happens and I do need to file a claim that I am dealing with the right sort of company.

In my case I have them insured more to protect against the risk of theft and fire (and because proof of insurance is required at some sorts of shows and almost all museums).

Although Doodle Bugs were ridden on the street in the 1940s, there is not a chance they'd be street legal today and I wouldn't feel safe riding one in traffic even if I fought to get it grandfathered in. So...mine are not registered or plated and not operated on public roadways.  Because they are insured but not registered, each year the State of Texas sends me a letter asking me why I have insurance on two unregistered vehicles in my name and at an address in Texas. I send them back the same reply each year and they've never seemed to have an issue...until the following year when I get the exact same letter again.  ???

That ultra cheap storage insurance through State Farm does sound interesting and in incredibly cheap. How do they define "storage" and is that for an agreed value policy (as opposed to stated value or traditional) as Hagerty is? 

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 08:41:37 PM »
"That ultra cheap storage insurance through State Farm does sound interesting and in incredibly cheap. How do they define "storage" and is that for an agreed value policy (as opposed to stated value or traditional) as Hagerty is? "

The coverage is what they call comprehensive . That covers things like fire , theft , storm ( acts of God ) ... Basically , anything that could happen while it sits in storage , not being used on the road .

The value figure was reached by my supplying the agent with photos of all sides of the bike . Those photos were then submitted to an appraiser and the appraiser offered his/her value estimate . In my case that estimate was 4 - 6 thousand dollars . I insured the bike for $6,000 .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)