Author Topic: Help I broke my Flywheel:(  (Read 5951 times)

WestCoastTed

• View Profile
    • Email
Help I broke my Flywheel:(
« on: April 07, 2012, 05:07:02 AM »
After spending $250 on parts for my motor I have succeeded in breaking my flywheel trying to pull it with hammer and prybar.  Not making excuses, but I've never done this in 20 years of working on small engines.  I don't see them on Wayne's parts list.  Any leads-its a Wico from a 1954 m motor.-Thanks, Ted

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help I broke my Flywheel:(
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 05:49:11 AM »
That's bad.  The reason you don't see them on Wayne's list is he may not have any!  He has told me that they are very hard to find, and were not used on another piece of equipment. 

Pulling a flywheel should never be done with a pry bar.  The procedure is to loosen the crank nut to the end of the crank, then use a flywheel removal tool to press against the crank nut and use the pinion gear studs to draw the removal tool up until the crank pops free.  I hope I am clear, but this is easier said than put into words.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 06:00:41 AM »
Really really sorry to hear that.  Yes, a pry bar is a flywheels worst enemy (I'll bet there are thousands of broken Tecumseh lawnmower flywheels out there where the owners tried to pry them off....Tecumseh had awfully weak flywheels).

Read the thread where "mywaymfg" is attempting to repair a Phelon flywheel.  If you center hub just broke loose, maybe you can do the same thing.  You'll have to make sure it didn't bend before it broke.
Mike Sal

WestCoastTed

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 06:30:27 AM »
Where can I find this thread, as my break is a clean one, and I suspect weak in the first place as easily as it snapped.  I've never broke a f/w this way, and I wish I had used a puller dang it. 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 06:37:58 AM »
BTW, if you do not have a flywheel removal tool, which is just a flat disc, you can use the pinion gear.

Rick
Rick

WestCoastTed

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 07:17:29 AM »
Oh my god, I was wondering if the gear could have been used.  I knew I was in for a butt chewing from ya'll over this one.  Found the thread,  looks like this may be an option for this as it is a clean break.  Can't wait to break the news to the customer monday.  Fortunately he restores ancient horseless carriages and steam cars and such and I am sure he is proficient at brazing.  Thanks guys for the recommendations.  The reason I had to pull the f/w is because the motor wouldn't start.  I found looking thru the manuals here that I am missing the spring between the f/w and breaker cam so the points werent operating right.  The old crank was missing the spring and the cam was sorta seized to the shaft.  I should have slowed down and looked at the breakdown before building.  Does anyone know what the point of the little screw that goes in the rod (upper)  Mine was missing too, don't know what length to get and I don't see it on Wayne's parts list.  Also the spacer washer between the pulley and the seal was missing.  Does anyone have any info on the size of that as well, can I get it at Ace, as well as that spring?-signed, Slow to Learn. com.!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 07:27:33 AM »
The screw should have a little plate, or a small washer can be used, to hold the rod bearing in place.

Rick
Rick

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 03:33:14 PM »
Jeremy here, I have posted my broken phelon flywheel problem on several different boards on this site, came back to here as it may be easier for someone else to find an answer in the future.  I called Wayne today and he only has a limited number of wico or phelon flywheel left, so he no longer will sell them however he will exchange them for a rebuildable core $140 wico.  Phelon little easier, little cheaper. Didn't ask for exact price , worth it to me flywheel has drove me nuts. Had it silver brazed together seemed like all should have been fine but wasn't. Thanks Mike for offering help you were my next resource fooled with it 3 days I couldn't fix it.
Jeremy c.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 04:22:38 PM »
Ted, there is two different spaces that were used between the oil seal and pulley don't know what one you need for your bike but mine is just a hair past a quarter inch can't remember the metric measurement Wayne give me but it basically converts to 1/4 "
Jeremy c.

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 05:28:33 PM »
Hello ,   It's me again ,   I can deal with some flywheel issues,   If not, then there is a guy across town that has great experience with them ,   If I can convince you to send me the busted and /or the parts that you are having trouble with I can get you an estimate within 1 day of receiving them ,,  If no like,  I will ship back for free <      I myself am shure interested to see them up close ,    No hurries      all the best ,   Larry Brown.  314 609 6568 :)

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 01:48:22 PM »
Thanks Larry, Mike sal  offered as well I appreciate it nice to have you guys and this site. After Wayne said he would exchange it I pretty well made my mind up to go that route. Mainly because I hope to never see that flywheel again, I am going to send that whole lower unit down so he can get a look at it. I'd feel better knowing for sure those napa bearings are correct and all these clearances are right. That may be the whole problem.
Jeremy c.

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 02:37:28 PM »
Ya know,, I kinda feel the same wat about a couple of attorneys down here ::)  Best wishes ,  you are in good hands     Larry.

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 12:56:28 PM »
Two things that will seriously hurt magnets in flywheels are heat and a sharp blow. Generally the magnets can be recharged from a sharp rap, but sometimes heat will just about kill them. If Wayne will change it out that is the way to go.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 02:04:27 PM »
Wayne, told me at first he would swap it out ,but it turns out he has no phelon flywheel ,however he did get the old one fixed had to make a new hub for the center and then straighten the face. He ran the motor all is well. Any of you guys that have phelon flywheels be careful they are hard to find and easy to break.
Jeremy c.