Author Topic: Simplex Compact wireing  (Read 1876 times)

DarrenC

• View Profile
    • Email
Simplex Compact wireing
« on: July 08, 2016, 09:57:06 PM »
Hello all,
Portland is just around the corner and I'm in a mad dash to try and get this girl done, but I'm having some issues. One thing that is baffling me is the ignition switch. I figured I might get an answer here. I have a 303 headlight with a Simplex switch in it. How many positions should the switch have? Of course there is off and on but it there another position where it allows the ignition to remain on while lights are off? The switch has 4 leads on the back of it. I take it two supply power to the headlight ( one for each filament). The other two are run to the back of the headlight posts or terminals. One to kill the motor and one to a positive to supply power to the headlight. So far does this sound right? What's got me puzzled is the tail light. Is it always on with no way to turn it off? This is all based on typical Simplex operation.

any help will be appreciated.

pd

• View Profile
Re: Simplex Compact wireing
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 05:07:07 AM »
Hi Darren ,

It sounds like you have the combination switch .

The following is from the 1960 M manual .
Note : clicking the link will download the combination switch page in pdf. form from the manual .

http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=430.0;attach=2749

I hope this helps .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 08:12:43 AM »
Post a picture of the switch so we can see if it is the same.  Does the compact use the same KD869 headlight as the Servi-Cycles?

See you in Portland shortly!
Rick

DarrenC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 10:44:25 AM »
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. The switch is diagramed just like the one I have. Since my magneto isn't working I will have a temporary batt. until parts can be sourced. Looks like the Phelon diagram is my scymatic (not spelt right) of choice, and apparently the taillight was indeed on all the time of operation. II will solve this with just a switch. The weird part of the diagram is their wasn't a way to switch the headlight filament from one to another. Unless I'm missing something. Thought about connecting the two together, but that would drain the small battery much quicker.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 10:53:10 AM »
Position 1 is off
Position 2 is run without headlamp
Position 3 is run with headlamp filament 1
Position 4 is run with headlamp filament 2

Tail lamp is indeed on all the time, but only on a Phelon magneto, with a Wico, it is on the switch.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 10:55:10 AM by RickS »
Rick

DarrenC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 07:28:51 PM »
Heck I didn't know there are 4 positions. I can feel two or maybe three. When I get things along a little more I'll have to play around with it.