Author Topic: Safti-Cycle Commando  (Read 642 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Safti-Cycle Commando
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2024, 04:13:34 PM »
Before painting anything, I would have mocked up the whole bike.  You just know you are going to have to cut, drill and weld on that frame before it’s together.
Rick

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2024, 08:21:43 PM »
There is nothing really that will put together that is not easily disassembled if need be, if I have to do any welding on the frame. It can be easily touched up... Not building a show bike or anything close to one..Frame is far from pristine anyway..Lots of pitting in areas throughout. So touchup is not a issue at all,LOL.

But great advice in most cases. Just not really a issue with this build at all..Thanks
« Last Edit: October 06, 2024, 10:12:21 PM by Carbineone1964 »

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2024, 06:11:18 PM »
I got the front forks done today and the new tires mounted.. The setup I used for the forks is going to give me around 2 inches of front suspension..Not much, but better than nothing..The fenders should arrive later this week and will see how they work out..Thanks

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2024, 06:33:32 PM »
Good work.  I really like the looks of those bikes.

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2024, 07:16:04 PM »
Thanks....It is coming along to my satisfaction so far.. But I am easy to please,LOL  I really like the lines and looks of the bugger myself..

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2024, 11:02:39 AM »
Went ahead an and bought a CC190 Honda engine today to power this..Hopefully it will have sufficient HP and work well for me..Probably going to use one of Waynes Kick Starts, and will surely have some questions on that.. Rick, I know you used one of his kick starts on a GC190..May pick your Brain some, as you said you had to do a little modification to use it on your engine..Thanks

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2024, 12:21:12 PM »
A GC190 engine can power one of these bikes to 50 mph, which is plenty for these old frames. It should be a fun ride.
Rick

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2024, 01:24:14 PM »
Probably 50 MPH would be be plenty fast..

All I really accomplished today was getting a kick stand on.. I am going to atleast have nice actual Motorcycle rims and actual MC drum brakes  front and rear..

Tomorrow I will be running over to my buddys cycle shop and scrounge through the parts for a front brake handlebar perch, lever and cable and get the front brakes up and working..
The rear Brakes and Foot pegs will be the last two things as those setups are dependent on location, after the motor is in..

Will maybe mount the fenders tomorrow too depending how that goes..Covering the seat will be this weekends project hopefully..

I have a Graphics friend making me decals for the tank..I am just going with SaftiCycle decals like the ones above on the white Bike....I just like em better than the other styles..

Thanks

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2024, 01:34:50 PM »
Forgot a question on the Kick start that Wayne makes.. Does his kick starts mount right on the Honda GC190 Engine?  Or does it come with a proprietary frame mount plate exclusively for the Simplex frames? In other words is the kicker frame or engine mounted?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2024, 05:12:57 PM »
Wayne’s kit is frame mounted.
Rick

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2024, 05:48:44 PM »
Thanks

Cartjocky, that Laray is pretty cool..Where were those made at?

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2024, 06:06:29 AM »
This is from one of my old popular Mechanics magazines.  1946

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2024, 06:49:01 AM »
Wisconsin made too.. That front end resembles a Indian or Harley somewhat. Cool little Bike.

I am still confused on how Waynes kickstarter  operates..There has to be a way the kicker disengages from the pinion gear so the kicker can return upward after the motor is running..  Wish someone had a video of one in operation.. I may be kinda slow and it is simpler than I think..But I am not getting the concept on how it actually works..

I am also considering trying a 175cc Motorcycle Carburetor on the GC190 Engine. I am certain I can adapt one to fit..Just not sure on how well it would work..Would be superior to running a choke cable type throttle.. For 30.00 it might be worth some experimenting..

« Last Edit: October 11, 2024, 07:09:03 AM by Carbineone1964 »

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2024, 08:42:32 AM »
I bought this jackshaft today...It mounts right to the bottom of the engine using the bolt patter on the engine..Hopefully it will work good.. If it does it sure beats welding and drilling the frame..
https://www.bmikarts.com/Clutch-Mount-with-Jackshaft_p_1129.html

Photo of the motor demillled of the ugly and sitting in the frame..Thanks

« Last Edit: October 11, 2024, 09:00:47 AM by Carbineone1964 »

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2024, 02:27:55 PM »
The fenders I took a chance on came today..They are going to look and work out fantastic.They are off of a 1970 Puch I think...Also finishing up the front brake lever and cable..

I was digging through my buddys junk boxes and found this really cool little lever that will be my choke lever on the Handle Bars...Looks to use a simple Bicycle Brake cable..Coming along..Sorry in a Senior moment I had the choke lever a brake lever opposite..You can see how this is going to go,LOL

« Last Edit: October 11, 2024, 03:50:01 PM by Carbineone1964 »