Author Topic: Safti-Cycle Commando  (Read 645 times)

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
Safti-Cycle Commando
« on: September 28, 2024, 05:27:57 PM »
Well with some kind help here from I think we have determined this to be a 1951 Safti Cycle made in Wisconsin..I ended up coming here as I was told it was Simplex..Well obviously the fella was wrong on that. I seen it at a yard sale and really liked it and I love tinkering with these kind of projects..

Some may think I am nuts to get it up and running. But I am going to.. :)  It will never be all original original. I could likely never find the parts to to that anyway..I have some ideas on rims and such from a Moped..I will make the bottom sections of the front forks in the Lathe. Looking at photos I think I have a decent idea of how they are setup..Looks pretty simple.

The Motor I have sitting in the frame is a Briggs Y kick start that I already had here.. I am unsure of the HP as it does not seem to say anywhere what it is..I think maybe a 2HP..If someone knows how to tell that would be great. I have had the motor running good a few years ago. I need to clean things up and start it again.. Problem is the Bendix/Clutch on the flywheel is getting worn. Hopefully those can still be found. If anyone knows a source let me know.. But the Briggs Kick start is the closet I will ever come to original. They did use a very similar Kick Start Brigs on these originally.. I am not sure if it is 2HP if that will be sufficient or not..But we will see..It will just be a putt around/display piece occasionally anyway..

I do have doubts that the old Briggs Y model will have sufficient power..Let me know what you think..

I should have kept my 100.00 and left it where it was..But I always see potential in stuff that drives me..I know I can make something atleast I will be proud of.

I think I can make cool little ride out of it..Any help or input on ideas and direction are sure appreciated. First pic is my project of course..Second is one that is very close to my example..

Edit

I was reading some on the Y model Briggs..I never realized they were a mighty 1/2 HP..LOL  That is not going to work..I will come up with some solution though..Maybe I could adapt the kick starter to a 3HP or 5HP Briggs or something..

« Last Edit: September 28, 2024, 07:05:34 PM by Carbineone1964 »

pd

• View Profile
Re: Safti-Cycle Commando
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2024, 04:47:21 AM »
Welcome Bruce . :)

Looks like the start of a fun project .
It sure can't hurt to ask about whatever .
Please , keep us posted on your progress . We love a good build story . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2024, 06:08:18 PM »
Thanks

I think it will a fun one..I am retired and get bored easily now..So I like to do more of this kind of stuff..

I am leaning towards using a modern engine like a Honda GS160..And either trying to make my own kick Start setup, or inquire if member Wayne still makes his conversion kick starter for the Honda..Does anyone know?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2024, 10:19:55 AM »
Wayne's kick start setup is for the Honda GX series of motors and all the clones out there.  The GS/GC series takes custom work, but the parts from Wayne, the pinion gear and the kick starter work well.

Check out this thread.  I put a Honda GC190 in a stretched Simplex, with a kick starter. 

https://simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?topic=1375.0
Rick

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2024, 11:02:16 AM »
I have this kick start lever from the Briggs and the gear..I am starting to lean towards using it and putting the small gear on the Honda..If I cannot figure a good way to get a ratcheting type nendix on..I am going to keep it simple..Just attach the small pinion gear to the Honda flywheel. And make a bracket to mount the kicker. I would have no automatic return doing the doing..But I could put a spring that pull the kicker down and hold it down as it is running..Then when stopped I can just manually pull the kicker lever back up..

I dug out some old wheels I am likely going to use for this project..They are off a old early 1950s Honda, Dream or Cub..Cannot remember for sure..I will post a pic of those mocked up later today..And you may get a good chuckle..But I think they will work..There is no way this could ever be brought to original again. So I am going to do what I can with it..

Pic of the starter kicker I am thinking of adapting..I wish I could find a source for a original Bendix for the old Briggs kickstarter as this  one shot..Anyone know where one of those NOS or used might be sourced from.

Thanks

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2024, 01:21:15 PM »
Right or wrong here are the Honda wheels sorta mocked up..I think they are going to work well.. I have blocks under everything to determine the stance and such..I am going to lower the rear axle about a 1.5 inches..Locating the axle holes in the frame right about in the center..The original axle holes are just a little high in the frame right now for the tire diameter.. The old motor is just in there for balance of course..

Though not original, I think the real motorcycle wheels are going to add to the rideability of this..Having both front and rear fully functioning brakes, and sturdy Rims, and good quality tires are going to be a tremendous update..I wish it could be all original, but that of course is not happening..

On a unimportant  side note. I think this is actually a 1951 Airman model, not a Commando..The frame is serialized and dated 1951 also..Make no difference really..It is what it will become now..

Hope I do not bore anyone with this stuff..LOL

Pic of the direction I am going..Thanks

« Last Edit: September 30, 2024, 01:25:35 PM by Carbineone1964 »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2024, 02:55:23 PM »
Looks good Bruce.  Any idea what the difference was between a Airman and a Commando?
Rick

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2024, 03:56:55 PM »
Not sure..But heres a pic of a Airman, and a Commando..

I called Wayne and he thinks the Kick Starter should fit the upright GC160..I will read your thread..Maybe someone can confirm if they put a Waynes Kicker on that motor..

Photos I found of a Airman and Commando..The Airman sure looks to have a different engine setup..The only real difference than the way the Engine is set up..Is the luggage carrier on the rear..Frames look identical otherwise..Airman looks to have a remote kicker seperate behind the Engine also.

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2024, 04:10:13 PM »
Anyone care to take a guess how the front forks work? There is a obvious round insert on the bottom of the forks..Inside the bottom of the hollow tubes there is a reduced diameter about a couple inches long..My theory in the solid lower insert goes in from the top..And the reduced diameter is a stop for the forks from coming out when doing a jump or a wheelie,LOL. They maybe had a spring inside for a shock?  Then a cap placed on the top of the tubes to retain it all..

Just a guess..If you have a better one. let me know.

Pic of the forks closeup.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2024, 04:41:49 AM »
Bruce ,
Pretty sure you're right .
Your frame seems to match an Airman as the front motor 'bay' tubes are curved , unlike the straight tubes of the Commando , and the 'bay' size matches the bigger area of the Airman .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2024, 12:37:17 PM »
Well I accomplished a little the last couple days. Frame is sandblasted and painted.. I kinda almost went with a color other than black..But decided black it will be..I have a little body repair to do to the Gas Tank//I will paint that tommorow.. I am going with some acrylic urethane on that..I have a gallon that the paint store miss mixed when I painted my last car..They just gave it to me..So need to use it up..I think the color will great with the black frame. You will have to wait to see the color..I have some new tires and tubes on the way also.

I have the front forks mostly done..I have to make retaining caps/plugs for the top of the tubes..Going to work fine I think..

Pic of what I have so far..This is never going to be a show cycle. I have to do it on the cheap side or it would never get done..Any suggestions or anything go ahead and make them.. It will kinda be what I think they call a Rat type Bike,LOL

Pic

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2024, 05:36:32 AM »
Looks like same tank as a LaRay.  They mount differently than most.   uses a gas cap as  Briggs did of that same era.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2024, 05:39:41 AM by kartjockey »

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2024, 05:51:48 AM »
Here's is a tank that I have.  (Actually, had two of them but sold one) Gas neck measures 1 3/4" (1.758').  I found this NOS B&S gas cap. 

I may have Safticycle tank decal.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2024, 05:55:01 AM by kartjockey »

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2024, 06:56:20 AM »
Thanks

Decal I would be interested in for sure..  I do not care if is not an Airman Decal..This is more less a custom job anyway. Originality is pretty much out the window on this one.. :)

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2024, 11:10:38 AM »
Hello

Not sure if all this is all that intersting.. But here is the direction I am kinda going with this..

The chrome on the donor wheels was not great..So they were blasted and self etching primer applied and painted..Same with the Handlebars. They were rough too, and needed the same treatment. Not going to be much bling to this and I do not even want that.  I do have some chrome fenders coming in that should look the part and look really nice.

I have a little Lathe work to do on the forks and get them buttoned up..Nothing major just a half Hour work or so..

Have the Gasoline Tank mounted up also.

The new tires and tubes should be here tomorrow and will get them mounted..By the end of the week it might actually start to actually look like a Motorcycle,LOL