Author Topic: Safti-Cycle Commando  (Read 636 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Safti-Cycle Commando
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2024, 04:32:10 PM »
The kick starter works just like a stock Simplex kick start. After the sector gear passes the pinion gear, it drops down so it can return without hitting the pinion gear. It really is a simple, ingenious design. Once you have it in your hands, it will be obvious.
Rick

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2024, 05:29:43 PM »
Thanks Rick

I think I get the concept now..

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2024, 08:59:27 PM »
Rick

When you did your GC190 build..Did you disable the Governor operation, or remove the the Governor at all?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2024, 04:18:18 AM »
Rick

When you did your GC190 build..Did you disable the Governor operation, or remove the the Governor at all?

I can’t remember. I think I opened up the motor and took all the parts out.  Or maybe that was on the GX motor conversion I did on the 3 wheel replica I built.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2024, 04:21:03 AM »
Bruce ,

The front fender is / was normally mounted opposite from how you have it pictured .
And , you could leave the choke on the left side . Maybe flip it and mount it to the underside of the bar .
That's how it is on my Suzuki . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2024, 05:07:03 AM »
Wow you fellas are early risers too.. :)

Yeah I have been setting the front fender in both ways to try to figure out how to best mount it. I am going to have to move brackets around and maybe even make some new ones.. The rear is a breeze to mount..The front is going to be more problematic though..The front one is going to take some fab work to get it done..

I have been doing some reading on Governor removal or delete..Seems it is a touchy subject no one wants to talk about for some reason....LOL

Thanks

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2024, 04:12:46 PM »
Did not accomplish alot today..Went to Ace Hardware and bought a simple on/off kill switch ignition...Hole was already there from the original ignition, so was not a big deal..

But rear fender is fully mounted..I will try to mount the front fender tomorrow..

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2024, 04:36:47 AM »
I removed all of the governors in kart motors.  Less to cause internal problems.  Then just thread the hole part way and bury a set screw in it. An 1/8" pipe plug is nice if applicable.

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2024, 06:26:32 AM »
So you removed it entirely? I ask because I thought I read it still needs the gear in place to supply oil slinging off the gear? Maybe I read it wrong or someone else was in error.. Thanks

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2024, 11:35:24 AM »
I didn't see the need for the gear to sling oil.  That is the job of the dipper on the connecting rod.
Rick

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2024, 05:55:07 PM »
Thanks

Not much done today but did get the front fender completely installed..Worked out pretty well.

I have a rear sprocket and CVT clutch assembly coming this week.. Still have not got to the seat yet, and the friend that does decals for me has not called back yet..  I will probably have some questions when the CVT assembly gets here..

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2024, 06:02:48 AM »
OK I pulled the motor apart.. Ready to pull the Governor out..I think the theory some have is that the governor gear helps keep oil on the timing belt to carry it up to the cam..That does not really seem to make sense to me..I am sure even without the Governor gear..The belt still get plenty of oil on it to carry it to the camshaft..

Also dug through my junk boxes and found a throttle/Cable assembly that will work out great.. Need some new vintage looking grips now..

Other than that I think we wait for more parts to arrive hopefully by weeks end. may get the seat done in the waiting period hopefully.....Thanks

« Last Edit: October 14, 2024, 05:03:28 PM by Carbineone1964 »

Carbineone1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2024, 06:40:51 PM »
Forgot..I did get the kickstand made today too..And dug up these old footpegs in my junk box too..